Efficient desalination: Smart automation helps reduce cost and increase efficiency of the plant
It is common in this region to have a combined cycle of desalination and power generation. The challenge is to not only produce potable water, but also to produce it efficiently and with as little impact as possible on the environment, says Ramarao Mandadi, Proposals Engineer -Solutions Business Unit, Endress+Hauser
As the world’s population continues to grow, existing water supplies will become increasingly insufficient. As more and more water will be required to meet mankind’s needs and considering that out of the world’s total water supply, only 3% is fresh water & seawater constitutes the remaining 97%, desalination of sea water has become an increasingly important source of useable water.
Desalination is a well-established method of removing salts from water to produce process water, potable water or ultrapure water. This is achieved through using membranes and/or thermal processes.
Thermal desalination processes are best applied to water and process streams with a high dissolved salt content and where the applied pressure required for a membrane system would be extreme. The use of a low-cost energy source, such as available from co-generation power plants, is advantageous with respect to reducing energy cost.
The Middle East region has traditionally been the focus of desalination activity, predominantly utilizing thermal technology. It is also common in this region to have a combined cycle of desalination and power generation. The challenge is to not only produce potable water, but also to produce it efficiently and with as little impact as possible on the environment.
Typically, instruments can be deployed from the intake of sea water at the start of the process to the final dispatch of fresh water at the end. Critical process measurements include water level, pressure, temperature, pH, ORP, turbidity, conductivity, DO, Silica, Sodium and the concentration of minerals such as nitrates. Ultimately the instrumentation is there to make sure that the plant is as safe as possible and that it can continually supply safe, high quality drinking water.
The water industry is extremely cost driven; hence expenses must be very closely managed without sacrificing efficiency, safety or reliability.
With so many parameters to consider, ‘smart automation and instrumentation solutions’ play a vital role in the plant’s day to day operations helping to reduce OPEX and to ensure consistent, reliable, and safe water supply.
At Endress+Hauser, we understand a “solution” to be a total package for our customers which provides them with added value in comparison to pure instrumentation. In line with this, Endress+Hauser has customized analytical solutions such as monitoring panels, monitoring cabinets, monitoring stations etc. all designed and customiSed to fit customers requirement as well as being extremely cost efficient and reliable.
Consider the SWAS panel system which is designed modularly. The parameters to be monitored can each be assembled according to the customer’s requirements. Up to three finished individual panels are connected and then built into the plant in decentralized form. With Endress+Hauser smart analysers, you save maintenance costs, minimize downtime and prolong the operational life for your plant. All SWAS panels are easy to install, to commission and to operate and can be combined as desired thanks to their modular design.
On the other hand, our Water panels are the perfect solution wherever direct process installation of measuring instruments is difficult or not desired. They are equipped with digital Memosens technology providing all necessary measuring signals for process control and diagnostics. A variety of available sample preparations and parameters allow perfect customization to all your processes. All panels are easy to install, to commission and to operate and can be combined as desired thanks to their modular design.
Over the course of the plant’s lifetime these smart solutions will improve energy efficiency, plant productivity, cost savings, reliability & safety will provide an enormous and sustained boost to plant profitability and operability.
At Endress+Hauser, we encourage our customers to optimize their systems and processes with solutions that can be tailored to their needs. We make use of existing information effectively and integrate this data consistently into the prevailing systems to optimize their processes. You can learn more about the wide range of possibilities available to you - eh.digital/Solutions_mesc
As a proposals engineer, Ramarao Mandadi understands the external factors that affect plant operations as well as the nitty grittiness of the plant operations itself. He is an expert in creating solutions which gives added value to customers and helps them reduce cost and increase productivity.
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org