Share

Shah gas field ramped up to full capacity

Production of 1 Bcf/d boosts domestic gas supply for power generation.

Share
Natural gas, Shah, News

The UAE has ramped up production at its Shah gas project to full capacity, boosting the supply of domestically produced natural gas for power generation, Reuters reports.

"We have ramped up to full production, which is 1 billion cubic feet per day (bcf)," Saif Ahmed al Ghafli, chief executive of Al Hosn Gas, told reporters on the sideline of an conference in Abu Dhabi.

Al Hosn Gas is the Shah gas development joint venture in which Abu Dhabi National Oil Co (ADNOC) holds a 60% share and US-based Occidental Petroleum the other 40%.

Natural gas in the Shah field has a high sulphur content and producing gas suitable for powergen costs more than conventional gas reserves. The project is expected to produce 0.5 bcf/d of usable gas.

Currently almost all the electricity generated in the UAE is produced by burning natural with more and more imported via pipeline from Qatar or on board Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) vessels.

However a huge 5.6GW nuclear power plant is under construction in Abu Dhabi while Dubai is diversifying into renewables and coal.

Newsletter

Most Popular