Share

Hyflux firms up Qurayyat desalination contract

Signing of water purchase agreement paves the way for 200,000 m3/d project in Oman.

Share
Olivia Lum
Olivia Lum

Singapore-based Hyflux has been formally awarded the Qurayyat Independent Water Project (IWP) by Oman Power and Water Procurement Company (OPWP), following the signing of a water purchase agreement.

Under the agreement, Hyflux will supply 200,000 cubic metres per day (m3/d) of desalinated water to OPWP for 20 years from 2017.

The project is now ready to move into the construction phase. Hydrochem, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hyflux, will be the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contractor while operation and maintenance of the project will be performed by a subsidiary to be incorporated in Oman.

Hyflux holds 85% of the shares of Qurayyat Desalination Company through its wholly-owned subsidiaries, Hyflux Utility (Oman) and Hyflux International, and Modern Channels Services (MCS) holds the remaining 15% of the shares.

The seawater reverse osmosis desalination plant, which will be located in Qurayyat in the Muscat governorate, is Hyflux’s largest desalination project in the Sultanate.

The signing ceremony for the water purchase agreement was attended by dignitaries, government officials and business partners including Oman's Minister of Housing Sheikh Saif bin Mohammed Al Shabibi and Singapore’s Consul General to the Sultanate of Oman, Richard Grosse.

Olivia Lum, executive chairman and CEO of Hyflux, Lum said: “We are pleased to achieve a new project milestone with our partners, OPWP and MCS. This project will play an important role in meeting the growing demand for water in Oman. Like Singapore, Oman is investing in water sustainability for the long-term, and we are proud to be able to contribute to this cause.”

Newsletter

Most Popular