Share

Abengoa closing in on huge investment

Spanish energy firm nears agreement with US investment firm EIG.

Share
Abengoa, Eig, News

Abengoa and energy infrastructure investor EIG Global Energy Partners (EIG) are in advanced talks over creating a joint venture company worth close to $10bn.

A newly formed company, Abengoa Projects Warehouse 1 (APW1) will be created and will acquire a portfolio of selected Abengoa’s projects under construction, including renewable and conventional power generation, power transmission and water management assets in different geographies including US, Mexico, Brazil and Chile.

Final closing, and the availability of EIG’s investment, is expected to happen over the next 4 to 6 weeks, Abengoa said in a statement.

The total investment amount to be managed by APW1 will be above $9.2bn, including both non-recourse debt and equity.

The total equity committed initially will be in the range of $2.5bn, of which 55 % will be held by EIG, and the remaining 45% by Abengoa, which will deconsolidate these projects.

APW1 will sign the existing ROFO (Right of First Offer) agreement between Abengoa and Abengoa Yield, reinforcing the growth opportunities for Abengoa Yield.

As part of the agreement, Abengoa and APW1 will sign a new ROFO agreement to allow APW1 to invest in new projects won by Abengoa in the future.

The financing of those new projects will come either from new equity contribution, or from the reinvestment of the initial equity once the first set of projects are completed and sold, or by a combination of both.

The objective of APW1 is, at least, to reinvest 100 % of the initial equity in a second set of projects in the future, which if achieved will extend the APW1 activity over the next 8 years approximately, and will add another $6 -7bnn of projects value on top of the initial $9.2bn.

Abengoa and EIG have maintained a successful relationship since 2007 when EIG co-invested with Abengoa for the development of an ethanol plant in France.

EIG is a leading specialist investor in energy and energy-related infrastructure based in Washington, DC with approximately $15bn under management.

Newsletter

Most Popular