Share

Groundbreaking at TAQA's Ghana power project

Expansion of Takoradi 2 power plant will increase output to 340MW

Share
The expansion project will see plant capacity increased to 340MW.
The expansion project will see plant capacity increased to 340MW.

Abu Dhabi’s TAQA has reported that Ghana’s President, John Dramani Mahama, has inaugurated the energy firm’s power plant project within Ghana. The work at the Takoradi 2 plant will increase power production by 50%, up from 220 MW to 340 MW. The firm has said that this increase will be achieved without the need for extra fuel.

When completed, the expanded plant will account for around 15% of the country’s total generation capacity – providing power for over one million people.

“The Takoradi 2 expansion project reflects our energy for growth programme aimed at increasing investments in the energy sector to build capacity for the future. The role of independent power producers has become vital and the partnership of TAQA and VRA has demonstrated that Public-Private-Partnerships (PPP) work in Ghana. The plant’s excellent record of over 95% availability since 2000 is not only a demonstration of the successful implementation of the PPP framework but also the significant development of technology capacity of Ghana,” said Mahama.

TAQA acquired a 90% stake in the Takoradi 2 plant in 2007, with the Volta River Authority (VRA) holding the remaining 10% share. TAQA is the operator of the facility. The expansion is being built by Mitsui & Co and KEPCP E&C, and is scheduled for commissioning in Q4 of next year.

“The Takoradi 2 power plant expansion project builds on TAQA’s position as a trusted operator of strategic energy infrastructure in Ghana. By deploying a world-class combined cycle turbine in Takoradi, we are helping Ghana to meet its growing energy needs while increasing the efficiency of the electricity generation system,” Carl Sheldon, TAQA CEO, said.

Financing of the scheme is being provided by the International Finance Corporation, as well as consortium of international development finance institutions.

TAQA currently has a total gross power capacity of 16,395 MW, with a desalinated water output of 887 million imperial gallons per day.
 

 

Newsletter

Most Popular