Home / Masdar looking at renewables projects in Morocco
Masdar looking at renewables projects in Moroccoby Adam Lane on Jan 21, 2013
Morocco’s Ministry of Energy, Mines, Water and Environment has signed a framework agreement with Abu Dhabi’s Masdar to cooperate on renewable energy development. The agreement, signed during last week’s World Future Energy Summit, will see Masdar work closely with Morocco, as it seeks to hit its target of 42% of total power capacity coming from renewable sources by 2020.
“Morocco is an ambitious supporter of the adoption of renewable energy projects. By capitalising on its abundant solar and wind energy resources, Morocco is establishing a strong renewable energy industry that will drive economic development and diversify its energy portfolio. We look forward to contributing to the development of Morocco’s renewable energy industry,” said Masdar CEO, Dr Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber.
Morocco’s Minister of Energy, Mines, Water and Environment, Fouad Douiri, said of the agreement: “With tremendous wind and solar resources, Morocco has already strong and concrete achievements in solar and wind capacity, thanks to its experienced local skills and within an attractive legal and regulatory framework. As a country focused on the development of its renewable energy, we see major benefits in building a valuable cooperation with renewable energy players, in particular with the industry.
“Masdar’s portfolio of regional and international projects, combined with their experience in renewable energy project development and research and development activities, makes it a partner of excellence in renewable energy cooperation,” he added.
- Sheikh Abdullah launches $5mn solar plant in Fiji
- ILF awarded Oman wind consulting contract
- Masdar pens second Mauritania solar deal
- ABB to develop PV testing centre in Masdar City
- GDF Suez and Suez Env to research 100% solar desal
- UAE to finance four more Pacific solar projects
- Total's SunPower eyes Middle East opportunities
- Masdar starts work on Pacific Island solar plants
- Dow selected for desalination pilot project in UAE
- Masdar confirms plans for 50MW windfarm in Oman